Friday, April 18, 2008

NABlog 3 Headlines:

On the floor: with Chyron \\\ The "Curse" goes On \\\ On Test: Colin's math skills.


Chyron Camio is a do-hikey that they demoed in Madison last fall, but I missed it… so to the NAB booth I go. Here’s the deal. To replace the HD still store, now-a-days, one just buys two HD chyrons… one to be a lower third machine & one to be a still store. Their camio product would replace control air for font & the still store control panel with one playlist. All the lower thirds AND still store events would then be entered via iNews. there’s also a graphic creation portion, which is pay to play. It acts like a very rudimentary photoshop, where you can slap stock photos on base graphic to make OTS’ & the like from any computer. The idea is that reporters or producers or directors or? could build a still… similar to how lower thirds are “built” typing them in iNews. I’m gonna just let you sit back and imagine that one for a while.
… … …
Welcome back.
I can see us using portions of the full blown camio.
~
One of the points of going to a trade show is to chat with the folks you already use, about things. Good things and well, less than good things.
I thought maybe I’d take the opportunity to find our pals at Avid and try to chat with them about “things.” Problem is, they elected not to by a booth at NAB this year. No problem, rumor has it that they set up shop over at the hard rock hotel. A cab ride later, I’ve got my plan on how to chat with these guys and I begin the search. After two trips to the front desk and a search of the facility no avid folks are to be found. Well, I don’t have any contact info, and the only number I can remember is for Avid tech support. I call & just hit buttons until I get a human. I try to explain to the tech support guy where I am and that I’d just like to meet our new sales rep., since I’m in vegas. The tech support guy tries hard enough, and finally just transfers me to the regional sales manager’s voice mail. So, I just kinda hang for a while, thinking that a sales person would never hesitate to call anyone back. Just as I was ready to give up and leave hard rock, Chuck calls. He has found Avid; they had abandoned the Hard Rock for a hotel conference room closer to the NAB’s convention center. As I wandered Hard Rock trying to make sense of this fiasco, I found the answer WHY:

The Curse of Carlos has struck again.
I don’t know how Chuck’s conversation with Avid went but at least he had one.
~
Parting shot:

Colin does a reality check of dessert. The menu’s assertion that the chocolate cake has 23 layers was found to be:

~

AND NOW, a word from the sponsor.yes, i'm riding TOUR de CURE this year, brought to you by our MyMadisonTV14. if you'd like to donate money towards diabetes, more info is here.

thanks for reading

No comments: